• 1 teaspoon oil
• 5 1/2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
• 2 tablespoons minced shallots
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can low sodium beef broth
• 1 1/4 cups water
• 3 tablespoons dry red wine
• 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
• 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon good quality balsamic vinegar
• Pinch of ground cayenne pepper
Place oil in skillet and turn to coat, and place over medium-high heat until hot. Add mushrooms and shallots; cover and cook 5 minutes or until mushrooms release moisture and darken (do not stir).
Place flour in a small bowl. Gradually add beef broth, while stirring with a whisk until completely blended. Add flour mixture, water, and remaining ingredients to skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
COOK'S NOTE: Excellent with turkey or pork. Makes a plain old turkey burger patty something special!
Per Serving (per 1/4 cup): 26 Calories; trace Fat (16.1% calories from fat); trace Saturated Fat; 2g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0mg
Cholesterol; 7mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat.