Chicken Hominy Stew
Serve with low fat cornbread.
• 2 Anaheim chiles
• Cooking spray
• 1 1/2 pounds tomatillos
• 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
• 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth, divided
• 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
• 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
• 1/2 cup chopped carrot
• 1/2 cup chopped celery
• 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 4 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
• 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
• 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
• 1 - 29 ounce can golden hominy, rinsed and drained
• 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
• Chopped cilantro leaves (optional)
Preheat broiler to high.
Halve, stem, and seed chiles. Place chiles, skin side up, on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray; broil for 5 minutes or until charred. Place chiles in a paper bag; seal. Let stand for 15 minutes. Peel and discard skins. Arrange tomatillos on prepared baking sheet, and broil 14 minutes or until blackened, turning once. Combine the chiles, tomatillos, 1/4 cup cilantro, cumin, and oregano in a blender. Add 1 cup broth; process until smooth.
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil; swirl to coat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and bell pepper; sauté for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour; sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic; sauté for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Place onion mixture in a large bowl.
Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add 1 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add half of chicken; sauté 3 minutes. Add browned chicken to onion mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken and 1 teaspoons oil. Combine remaining 1 cup broth, tomatillo mixture, onion mixture, and hominy in pan over medium-high heat, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Ladle 1 2/3 cups stew into each of 6 bowls, and top each with 1 tablespoon sour cream. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
Per Serving: 304 Calories; 8g Fat (23.6% calories from fat); 2g Saturated Fat; 18g Protein; 41g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 39mg Cholesterol; 770mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Fat Recipes Furnished by LowFatLifestyle.com© - Copyright 2011